5 Keratosis Pilaris Causes
1. Heredity genes – Though scientists have no real evidence as to what causes Keratosis Pilaris, they are in agreement that heredity plays a critical role in determining whether a person will get it or not. Studies conducted on a large number of people showed that a majority of those suffering from this skin condition have strong family history of suffering from the same. It is therefore highly likely that you will suffer from Keratosis Pilaris if a good number of your family members have had an encounter with it.
2. Atopic dermatitis – This is a skin diseases the mostly affects children in their first year after birth. This condition can continue for a long time. Oftentimes, Atopic dermatitis is itchy and makes the skin scaly. Combined with the fact that it is mostly children and teens who suffer from Keratosis Pilaris, having atopic dermatitis makes it even more probable for such a person to get it. One of the remedies is to shower with warm rather than hot water.
3. If you are of Celtic origin – While Keratosis Pilaris can affect anyone irrespective of their age and race, scientists have found a strong link between this skin condition people of Celtic origin.
4. Children and teens – Young people are prone to getting this skin condition. Children and young adults in their teens often find themselves having to deal with Keratosis Pilaris more often than the older people. In most cases because teens are socially and medically expected to have acne, many people will mistake this skin ailment for acne. However, as a person grows older, the symptoms of the ailment disappear. There is no need to seek medical attention in many cases of Keratosis Pilaris.
5. Dry Skin and cold weather – Winter is usually very dry or rather with little humidity if any. Under normal circumstances, dry weather is not ideal for your skin. If your skin happens to be dry naturally, then a dry winter will only serve to bring out the potentiality of you having Keratosis Pilaris. When there is overproduction the skin protein-keratin, the hair follicles will fail to come out and will just plug the skin. This means that a dry skin is more susceptible to making the follicles remain inside than a soft well oiled skin. It is for this reason that people with dry skins are advised to used oil based soaps and apply creams in winter.